HOME   |   CONTACT   |   INFORMATION REQUEST  Join Us On Follow Us on Twitter   
           
  Places of Interest
Museums
Performing Arts
Visual Arts
Historic Sites
Garden/Nature Areas
   

ATTRACTIONS    Historic Sites
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

ALTAMONT

Dr. Charles M. Wright House
North Main & West Jackson St.
Constructed in 1889 by Dr. Wright, the 18-room Renaissance Revival home is an excellent example of Italianate architecture built and furnished in the Victorian period. Most of the furnishings from three generations of the Wright family are still featured. This home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
618-483-6397


ARCOLA

The Arcola Historic Train Depot
135 N Oak
Built in 1885, one of the many displays is a Raggedy Ann collection, Rail Road memorabilia and the Louis Klein Brush Collection, the largest collection of antique brooms and brushes in the U.S. Brooms are also sold here.
217-268-4530 or 800-336-5456


ASSUMPTION

Assumption Coal Mine Site
On the south edge of town
A historical plaque commemorates the deepest coal mine in the country during its operation from 1890-1928.


BACK TO TOP


BEAVERVILLE

"Cathedral of the Country", St. Mary's Church
308 St. Charles St
Completed in 1910, the Bedford limestone cathedral was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in May 1996. French Canadian farmers established residency in Beaverville in the 19th Century and many of the town's residents are descendants.
815-435-2432
www.keynet.net/~stmarys


BEMENT

Bryant Cottage State Historic Site
146 E. Wilson St.
An 1856 cottage where tradition says Abraham Lincoln and his rival Stephen Douglas discussed their upcoming debates. A visit to the cottage reflects the comfortable but modest lifestyle of an aspiring smalltown businessman of the mid 19th century.
217-678-8184


BLOOMINGTON

David Davis Mansion
1000 E. Monroe St.
This 19th Century mansion was the home of United States Supreme Court Justice David Davis, mentor to Abraham Lincoln.The mansion was built in 1872. Several annual Festivals including the Glorious Garden Walk & Mr. Lincoln's Birhtday.
309-828-1084
daviddavismansion.org

Funks Grove Pure Maple Sirup
5257 Old Route 66
Guided tours offered during February and March show syrup making by the "Boiling Down" process. Gift store stocked with syrup as well as Route 66 memorabilia.
309-874-3360

Miller Park Pavilion
1020 S. Morris Ave.
This unique landmark was restored in 1977. The Korean/Vietnam War Memorial was dedicated in May of 1988.
309-434-2260

Site of Major's Hall
Corner of Front & East Sts.
A plaque commemorates the building where, on May 29, 1856, at a convention of the Republican Party of Illinois, Abraham Lincoln gave a speech which became known as his "lost speech."
309-829-1641 or 800-433-8226

Stevenson Graves
Evergreen Cemetery, 302 E. Miller St.
Graves of Adlai Stevenson I and Adlai Stevenson II. Also buried here are Letita Green Stevenson and her sister Julia Green Scott.
309-827-6950


BACK TO TOP


CARLINVILLE

Macoupin County Jail
Southside Macoupin County Jailhouse
Built in 1869 by the same architect as the Courthouse using the "Cannonball" method to prevent escapes.
(217) 854-3136

Macoupin County Historical Society Museum
920 W. Brecken Ridge St.
The historic Anderson Mansion is home to numerous items from Macoupin county's past.
217-854-2850

Carlinville Historic District
Most of downtown Carlinville
The Historic District covers 1/3 of the only Carlinville in the world. Includes the historic Macoupin County Jail and The Million Dollar Courthouse. The largest collection of Sears & Roebuck mail-order homes in the US.
217-854-2141
www.carlinvillechamber.com

Macoupin County Courthouse
201 E. Main St.
Check out the "Milliion Dollar Courthouse" once the largest courthouse in the United States.
217-854-3214


CASEY

Cumberland Presbyterian Church
16 N Central Ave.
Enjoy viewing outstanding stained glass windows, one of which is a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, donated by the local Civil War veterans in 1914.
217-932-5404


CHARLESTON

Thomas Lincoln Cemetary and Shiloh Church
Lincoln Highway
The final resting place for a great many Civil War veterans and for Thomas and Sarah Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's father and stepmother.
217-345-1845

Murals Around The Square
Charleston
Charleston's reputation as a city of murals is growing more and more as visitors learn of the project. The murals around the square are worth a walking tour. The tour spans a seven block area.
217-348-0430
www.charlestontourism.org

Lincoln Douglas Debate Museum
416 W. Madison Ave.
Charleston’s newest heritage tourism attraction. Learn more about the 1858 political debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas. This site is a designated Looking for Lincoln site.
217-348-0430
www.charlestontourism.org

Historic Courthouse Square (Charleston)
Downtown Charleston
Explore antique shops, relax at one of our cozy cafes, and discover three centuries of architecture.
217-348-0430
www.charlestontourism.org

Dennis Hanks Gravesite
Old City Cemetery
Burial site of Abraham Lincoln's tutor
217-348-0430
www.charlestontourism.org

Charleston Historic District
Charleston
Explore antique shops, relax at one of our cozy cafes and discover three centuries of architecture.
217-348-0430


CHENOA

Matthew T. Scott Home
227 N. 1st St.
The Traditional Victorian home of Matthew T. Scott, a well-known agriculturalist, and his wife Julia Green, one of the founders of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
815-945-4555


CHRISMAN

Lincoln Monument
325th Road (Coach Road), 1 mile west of County Rd. 12
Picture Lincoln, the circuit lawyer on horseback, traveling the old route between Edgar and Coles counties. Rub his nose and leave a penny for luck at this monument.

Wall Mural
Illinois & Madison St. (downtown)
Artistic talent is showcased on a wall mural decorating a building on this quaint small town's square. The first mural at Illinois & Madison streeets was completed in the fall of 1998.
217-269-2664

Pike's Peak Ocean to Ocean Road
2300th Rd.
One of the first transcontinental highways. It is one of the most unchanged of all early highways. Get a map to travel the Edgar County Route at Chrisman, Hume, or Metcalfe business.
217-698-5970


BACK TO TOP


DANVILLE

Fithian Home
116 N. Gilbert
Fithian home is a Lincoln site listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 1855 Victorian mansion was the home of Dr. William Fithian, a friend of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln spent 2 nights there in 1858.
217-442-2922
www.vermilioncountymuseum.org

WWI Victory Memorial
Southwest corner of Main & Gilbet St.
This monument to Vermilion County's World War I veterans was sculpted by Lorado Taft. Its base displays the names of 51 area men who died in the war. Statues representing Red Cross nurses and each branch of the armed service guard the base.
800-383-4386

Vermilion County War Museum
307 N. Vermilion
12,800-square ft. military museum is housed in what used to be a Carnegie Library. Their collection contains over 2,000 artifacts and memorabilia from the 1800's to Desert Storm.
217-431-0034
www.vcwm.org

Historic Danville Stadium
9th & Highland
Built in 1946 as part of the Brooklyn Dodgers farm system, it serves as the home field for high school, American Legion, and community college baseball teams. During the summer, the field is home to the Danville Dans an NCAA-sanctioned league.
217-743-1226 x1
www.soltec.net/dansbaseball

National Cemetary
1900 E. Main St.
The National Cemetary is located on the grounds of the VA Medical Center. Entrance off E. Main St. Can be found near the Army Reserve Center. The cemetary serves as the final resting place for veterans and their spouses.
217-554-4550


DECATUR

Governor Oglesby Mansion
421 W. William St.
Built in 1874 - Italiante home features Gov. Oglesby's original library which has been restored. Home of Richard J. Oglesby, U.S. Senator and 3-time governor of Illinois.
217-429-9422

Decatur Walking Tour
Historic District
Highlights of Decatur’s 258 acre Historic District, with examples of virtually every type of architecture from the past 150 years. Tour includes the Governor Richard J. Oglesby Mansion and the Millikin Homestead.
217-423-7000

James Millikin Homestead
125 N. Pine St.
Stately brick mansion built in 1876, the year of the United Centennial. Known for its woodwork, elegant fireplaces, plasterwork and etched stained glass.
217-422-9003

Macon County Historical Society
5580 N. Fork Rd.
This living history museum features a train depot, schoolhouse, prairie store, a blacksmith shop, and the Lincoln Log Courthouse where Abraham Lincoln tried several judicial cases.
217-422-4919
www.mchsdecatur.org


DWIGHT

Pioneer Gothic Church
201 N. Franklin St.
Built in 1858, restored in 1968, this church was visited by the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward II, while on a hunting expedition in the area. Listed on the National Register.
815-584-3077

Wm. Fox Development Center/Keeley Institute
134 W. Main St.
Currently operated by the State of Illinois as a residential facility for people with developmental disabilities, this is the original site of the Keeley Company and Institute and the Livingston Hotel. Tours available.
815-584-3347
www.dwightillinois.com

Bank Of Dwight
132 E. Main St.
The Bank of Dwight established 1855, is the oldest business in village. The Greek Classic design building was built in 1910. An original mural painted by Viennese artist, Oskar Gross, is displayed.
815-584-1855
www.bankofdwight.com

Ambler-Becker Texaco Station
417 W. Waupansie St., Old Rt. 66
Was one of the last original Rt. 66 gas stations to be in operation. Listed on the National Register.
815-584-3077

The Country Mansion
101 W South St.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, it was built in 1891. Used as a private home by John Oughton, one of the founders of the Keeley Institute.
815-584-2345

Historic Route 66
Route 66
Dwight, built in the 1920's Rt. 66, Also known as "The Mother Road" brought many people through dwight on their way west looking for a more prosperous life. The road has evolved over the years to today's I-55.


BACK TO TOP


EFFINGHAM

Historic Courthouse
Jefferson at 3rd
Built in 1871 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
800-772-0750

ELKHART

Elkhart Hill
Once owned by John Dean Gillett, known as the Cattle King of Illinois. Historic cemeteries and a family owned chapel. Call for tours.
217-947-2238 (Elkhart Historical Society)

John P. Gillett Memorial Arch
County Rd. 10
This historical bridge was commissioned by former Illinois First Lady Emma Gillett Oglesby in 1915 as a memorial to her brother.




BACK TO TOP


FARMER CITY

Flood Plain Forge--- Blacksmith
111 W. Green St.
Blacksmithing, artistic and useful iron work done in a smithy erected in 1928. There has been a blacksmith shop at this location since 1892.
309-928-9168


BACK TO TOP


GILLESPIE

Soulsby's Rt. 66 Gas Station
201 S Old Rt. 66
One of Central Illinois’ most historic Route 66 landmarks. It as in constant operation from 1926 to 1992 with the same owner.
217-999-5901


GREENUP

Historic Greenup Railroad Depot
115 E Cumberland St.
Has documented visits by Frank James and Cole Younger of the notorious James Gang. Visit the two-story depot, now serving as a local and regional history museum, with furnished upstairs for the station master, a military room and National Road room.
217-923-3401


BACK TO TOP


HILLSBORO

Harkey House
307 S. Broad
Montgomery County Historical Society. Home furnished with memorabilia of early Montgomery County. By appointment.
217-532-3329

Historic Montgomery County Courthouse
Courthouse Square
Circa 1858, this was the site of "The World Needs God" sign.
217-532-9577
www.montgomeryco.com


HUME

Shiloh Prairie Restoration
21751 N 575th St
Forty acres of restored prairie grass (since 1974) and a Native American grass lodge.
217-887-2364


HUTSONVILLE

Hutson Memorial Village
Outer South Rose Street
Cabins in the village portray life in the 1800s, including a church and country store.
618-563-4531


BACK TO TOP


IUKA

Halfway Tavern
Rt. 50
In 1779 George Rogers Clark led his army from Kaskaskia through this area to Vincennes, IN where they captured Ft. Sackville from the British. At the time, this building was named for being near the midpoint of the Vincennes-St. Louis Trail.
217-785-1584


BACK TO TOP


LERNA

Moore Home
Lincoln Hwy.
This is the preserved home of Reuben Moore and his wife, Matilda, who was a daughter of Sarah Bush Lincoln and stepsister of Abraham Lincoln. The Moore Home is a 1-1/2 story frame building dating from the late 1850s.
217-345-1845

Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site
400 S. Lincoln Highway Rd.
An 86-acre historic site owned and operated by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. The site includes accurate reproduction of the Lincoln’s two-room cabin that was constructed on the original cabin site--this was the last home of Abraham Lincoln’s parents; Sargent Farm, a working history farm; and a second farmstead, depicting the 1840s rural life in Illinois.
217-345-1845
www.lincolnlogcabin.org


LEXINGTON

Patton Cabin
Patton Cabin was built in June, 1829 by John Patton who was one of the area's first settlers. The cabin was built with the help of Native Americans who lived in the area.
309-365-3091
www.historyillinois.org


LINCOLN

Postville Courthouse State Historic Site
914 5th St.
A reproduction of the first Logan County Courthouse in use from 1840 to 1847. Abraham Lincoln served as a lawyer on the Eighth Judicial Circuit.
217-732-8930

The Christening Scene
Broadway & Chicago Streets
On August 27, 1853, the first lots were sold in the new town of Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln took a watermelon, broke it open and with its juice christened the new community.
217-732-8687

Logan County Courthouse
601 Broadway St.
Built in 1905, contains 2nd largest courtroom in the state. Contains 4 unique medallions and murals, with a valuable all glass dome. Main floor covered with the Illinois Seal. The 2nd floor contains an original Lloyd Ostendorff painting.
217-732-6400


LITCHFIELD

Historic Wabash Train Depot
500 W. Union Ave.
Historic train depot, preserved outside in traditional architecture. Inside renovated and now houses specialty shops. Privately owned.
217-324-2533


BACK TO TOP


MARSHALL

Clark County Genealogical Library
521 Locust St.
Census records, newspaper clippings, birth and marriage records and other records of interest helpful to geneological researchers
217-826-2864

Archer House
717 Archer Ave.
This National Historic Register site was built in 1841 as a hotel and also served as a stagecoach stop. It is the oldest hotel in Illinois still in operation.
217-826-8023

Bandstand and Courthouse
501 Archer Ave.
Marshall has served as Clark County County Seat since 1838, and the current courthouse dates back to 1904. The period style bandstand, on the courthouse grounds, is still in use.
217-826-8311


MATTOON

Mattoon Welcome Center/Peterson House
500 Broadway Ave.
The Peterson House serves as the Mattoon Welcome Center. It offers free information about events happening in and around Mattoon.
217-258-6286 or 800-500-6286
www.mattoonillinois.org


MIDDLETOWN

Stagecoach Inn
206 S. Madison St.
Was located on the stage coach Route 541 between Springfield and Peoria. It is now located 2 blocks from its original site and being restored to its original condition.
217-732-8687


MONTICELLO

Monticello Historic Districts
Featuring a variety of architectural styles. North Street, called Millionaires Row and South Charter Street, are both near the downtown area. Brochures are available at Wabash Depot.
800-952-3396

Monticello Wabash Depot
Downtown Monticello
Built in 1899, and now restored, the depot is the departure point for a weekend afternoon train ride to the railway museum. It also serves as a visitor center for Monticello and Piatt county.
217-762-7921 or 800-952-3396
www.monticelloillinois.net


MOUNT OLIVE

Mother Jones Monument
Mt. Olive
Mother jones monument in the Union Miners cementry, honors the crusader for coal miners rights. Placed on the national register of the historic places.
217-999-4261


MOUNT PULASKI

Mount Pulaski Courthouse
113 S. Washington St.
Built in 1848, the Courthouse served as the Logan County seat of government until 1855. Attorney Abraham Lincoln regularly argued cases in the 2nd floor courtroom.
217-792-3919


BACK TO TOP


OAKLAND

Oaklands's Historic Square
Oakland
Visit Oakland's lovely New England-style square for a unique shopping experience.
217-346-2341

Independence Pioneer Village
Oakland Newman Rd.
Visit this log home village from early 1800's including a blacksmith shop, church and schoolhouse.
217-346-2621

Historical Landmarks
N. Pike St.
Home of Oakland's first physician, Dr. Hiram Rutherford. Completely restored 1850's home with summer kitchen, restored doctor's office, pennsy railroad depot, mail pouch barn and museum of agricultural history.
217-346-2653


OAKWOOD

Salt Kettle Rest Area
I-74 Westbound
The Salt Kettle Rest Area is accessible from the westbound lands of I-74 between Danville and Oakwood. The grounds are near the original pioneer salt mines. A monument stands at the site in honor of the first area of industry.
217-354-2117


ODELL

Standard Oil Gasoline Station
213 S. Front St.
Located on the SW side of Odell on Old Rt. 66. Built in 1932, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
815-343-9875


BACK TO TOP


PALESTINE

Palestine Commercial Historic District

The 31 buildings that make up this downtown district are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
618-586-2222

Fife Opera House
123 S. Main St.
Tours of the opera house, built in 1898, show scenery, stage backdrops, gas lights, etc, used during that era. The multi-purpose facility offers tours, rentals, exhibits, changing displays, souvenirs, history books and more.
618-586-9418
www.fifeoperahouse.org

"Oldest Town in Illinois"
Palestine holds the oldest continuous charter in Illinois. Home to a French trading post as early as 1680, Palestine is believed to be the State’s earliest white settlement.
618-586-2222


PANA

Rosamond Grove Cemetery
Just Outside Pana & Rosamond
A high mound overlooking the prairie. Home of the famous statue "Lincoln the Orator", by turn of the century artist, J. Mulligan. This site also features the Lincoln-commissioned cannon, "Mary Lincoln."
217-562-4240
www.panaillinois.com

Kitchell Park and Chautauqua Auditorium
S. Kitchell St.
40-acre park donated to the City of Pana by Civil War Captain Kitchell, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, famous round Chautauqua Auditorium, Schuyler Bridge, playground, picnic, swim, tennis, baseball, basketball.
217-562-3109
www.panaillinois.com

Coal Creek Village
Pana Tri-County Fairgrounds
Original log buildings form this educational village from early Illinois prairie years.
217-562-4240


PARIS

North Arm
St. Aloysius Roman Catholic Church 1350th Rd. and 1900th St.
Oldest continuously operating Catholic church in Springfield diocese. Founded 1817 by 17 families from Kentucky, journey blessed by Fr. Theodore Badin, first Catholic priest ordained in U.S. Current church built 1901, original altar from mid-1800s
217-466-3355

Grave Of Sarah Hanks Varnell
State Rt. 1
Abraham Lincoln's aunt was buried on Ogden County cemetary in 1876 after living a long life in Edgar County.
217-275-3413

Indian Treaty Site
2700th Rd. at 500th St.
A marker commemorates where two important trails intersected on the prairie - Detroit to St Louis and Peoria to Terre Haute. In 1765, the British and the Illinois Indians signed a peace treaty here.
217-465-4179

Edgar County Historical Society
414 N. Main
Compare pioneer and Victorian lifestyle when you visit the log cabin and brick Italianate home. An exhibition gallery and program space in an adjacent building features rotating exhibits of the society's collection.
217-463-5305

Vance Park
South Centeral St.
Opposite the art center and adjcent to City Hall. An extensively landscaped sunken garden featuring a serpentine brick wall from Thomas Jefferson's design at Charlottesville and lions' head fountain duplicating original park features in France.
217-465-7601

Mile Marker Historical Monument
State Rt. 1 North at 1625th St.
This stone identifies one of the last original road markers that dotted the first road from Vincennes to Chicago.

Edgar County Courthouse
115 W. Court St.
This elegant 1893 brick & stone building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
217-466-7433


PAXTON

Illinois Central Railroad Historical Society Headquarters
250 N. Market St.
Depot, museum and library.
217-379-2261
www.icrrhistorical.org


PETERSBURG

Historic Petersburg
Petersburg
Surveyed by Abraham Lincoln in 1836. The Petersburg Historic District, which encompasses well over half of Petersburg, is included in the national register of historic sites and has many outstanding examples of architecture styles.
217-632-7363

Lincoln's New Salem State Historic Site
15588 History Lane
This reconstructed 1830's village is where Lincoln lived for 6 yrs. as a young adult. Here is where he studied law and began politics. All 23 buildings have been reconstructed to give visitors a clearer understanding of Pioneer life.
217-632-4000
www.lincolnsnewsalem.com

Oakland Cemetary
Oakland Avenue
The grave site of Ann Rutledge, Abraham Lincoln's first sweetheart. Her tombstone bears an inscription written by Edgar Lee Masters, who is burried nearby.
217-632-7363

Rosehill Cemetery
Contains the grave of mayor B.F. Stevenson, founder of the G.A.R.; Peter Lukins for whom Petersburg was named; and Dr. John Allen & Samuel Hill,both noted figures of New Salem history.


PONTIAC

Livingston County Courthouse
On the square
On the square in downtown Ponitac, the courthouse was built in 1875 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Abraham Lincoln tried some of his earlier cases here.
815-844-6174 or 800-835-2055

Three Swinging Bridges
Chautautauqua Park In Humiston Riverside Park
Pontiac is the only city in central Illinois with three swinging bridges. One built in the early 1900's
815-844-5847 or 800-835-2055

Dargon Park Sculptures
Madison & Fountain Streets
"Seasons of Life" rusty in appearance, standing 25-ft. tall, the three sculptures symbolize the human "changes" or "seasons" of growth during our lives. Barry Tinsley, sculptor and artist, completed the design, construction and erection of the figures.
815-844-5847 or 899-835-2955


BACK TO TOP


ROSSVILLE

Mann's Chapel
Rt. 1, south of Rossville
Mann's Chapel, located just south of Rossville, is the oldest church in Vermilion County. It was constructed in 1857.
217-442-2922 or 800-383-4386
www.vermilioncountymuseum.org


BACK TO TOP


SHELBYVILLE

Shelby County Courthouse
Main and Washington
Built in 1879, has historic paintings including Robert Root's depiction of Lincoln-Thornton debate.
217-774-4421

Tallman House
816 West Main St.
Built in 1905 by the inventor of the mechanical pickup hay baler. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
217-774-3991

Chautauqua Auditorium
655 E North 9th St.
This 1903 National Historic Landmark building houses Grecian statues designed by Robert Root and has hosted famous speakers such as Billy Sunday and Carrie Nation. Now hosts dances, entertainment and parties.
217-774-2244 or 800-874-3529


SPRINGFIELD

Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (Museum)
212 North 6th Street
A museum unlike any other-enabling visitors to experience the entire Lincoln story for themselves, under one roof-in a modern television control room on Election Night, 1860, the Blue Room of the White House; an Indiana log cabin; Ford's Theatre, etc.
217-558-8844
www.alplm.org

Air Combat Museum
835 Capital Airport Dr.
This museum showcases the role of military aviation in protecting and advancing the cause of freedom.
217-544-6122
www.aircombatmuseum.org

Camp Butler National Cemetery
5063 Camp Butler Rd.
One of the 120 national cemeteries that served as a Civil War training camp as well as a POW camp for Confederate Soilders.
Call office to schedule a tour.
217-492-4970

Elijah Iles House
628 S. Seventh
Experience this historic Greek Revival-style house once owned by a founder of Springfield, Elijah Iles. The recently restored house has changing exhibits related to Springfield’s history.
217-492-5929

Illinois Korean War Memorial
Oak Ridge Cemetery, 1441 Monument Ave.
Octagon granite walls provide the foundation for the names of 1,752 Illinois veterans killed in action.
217-782-2717

Illinois State Military Museum
1301 N. MacArthur Blvd. (Camp Lincoln)
Preserving the heritage of the Illinois National Guard, the museum is committed to collecting, preserving, interpreting and exhibiting the military artifacts associated with the citizen-soldier of Illinois.
217-761-3910

Illinois Vietnam Veterans Memorial
1441 Monument Ave.
This powerful granite monument and it's eternal flame pay tribute to the 2,981 Illinois residents who served in the Vietnam War and died or are still missing. Located at Oak Ridge Cemetery.
217-782-2717

Illinois State Capitol
2nd & Capitol
The center of state government which houses offices of Governor, Secretary of State, Comptroller and Treasurer as well as House of Rep and Senate Chambers. VIsitors can watch IL politics in action from balcony-level seating when legislature is in session.
217-782-2099

Illinois Executive Mansion
410 E. Jackson
Home of the Illinois Governor, the mansion is the third oldest, continuously occupied Governor's home in the nation. Seven US presidents including Lincoln have been received here. Three levels are open to the public including four formal parlors.
217-782-6450
www.state.il.us/gov/mansion2

Lawerence Memorial Library
101 E. Laurel
The Lawerence Memorial Library is one of the 10 interiors designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
217-525-3039
www.springfield.k12.il.us/schools/lawrence/library

Lincoln Depot
10th & Monroe
The train depot where Abraham Lincoln gave his farewell speech as he departed for Washington, D.C.
217-544-8695
www.sj-r.com

Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site
6th & Adams
The only remaining structure where Abraham Lincoln maintained working law offices. Lincoln and his final law partner, William Herndon, operated from the top floor of the 1840 building. The interior looks as it did in Lincoln's time.
217-785-7289

Lincoln Home
426 S. 7th St.
The Quaker-Brown residence where the Abraham Lincoln family lived for seventeen years. The only home the Lincolns ever owned.
217-492-4241
www.nps.gov/liho

Lincoln Ledger
Bank One, 6th & Washington
Abraham Lincoln's original account ledger with the Springfield Marine and Fire Insurance Company is on display during banking hours.
217-525-9600

Lincoln Pew
7th & Capitol
Abraham and Mary Lincoln maintained a family pew in their place of worship. You may quietly view it and the beautiful Tiffany windows in the First Presbyterian Church.
217-528-4311
www.first-pres-church.org

Lincoln Tomb State Historic Site
1500 Monument Ave.
The final resting place of President Lincoln, his wife and three of their four children. Constructed 1869-1874.
217-782-2717

Old State Capitol State Historic Site
1 Old State Capitol Plaza
The Old State Capitol is a reconstruction of Illinois' fifth statehouse, the first to be located in Springfield. The building served as the seat of state government and a center of Illinois political life from 1839-1876.
217-785-7961

Springfield Trolley Tours
522 East Monroe
See Springfield’s historic sites about the Elijah Iles trolley.
217-528-4100

Vachel Lindsay Home
603 S. 5th St.
The 1879 birthplace of the native Springfield poet/artist, this house remained Lindsay's only home until his death there in 1931.
217-524-0901

STAUNTON

Henry's Ra66it Ranch
1107 Historic Rt. 66
A Quirky must see Route 66 attraction, information center and souvenir gift shop. Rabbits of all kinds, bunny and VW type, hopping the grounds.
618-635-5655
www.henrysroute66.com

Route 66 Information Center
1107 Historic Rt. 66
Historic Route 66 Information Center - free service, pamphlets pertaining to Rt. 66 for all states and highways.
618-635-5655
www.henrysroute66.com


STREATOR

Weber House
1503 N. Baker St.
A storybook home built by Ernest and Zelma Weber in 1937 that has received visits from presidents, movie stars, and authors. Among the many highlights, the Weber House sits on a spacious English-style garden filled with meandering paths, foxglove, hollylocks, perennials, a whimsical water fountain and water hyacinths.
815-672-8327


SULLIVAN

Moultrie County Courthouse
Center of town square
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. Many murals depicting industry, many documents on display.
217-728-4622


BACK TO TOP


TAYLORVILLE

Christian County Genealogical Society
Christian County
The Genealogical Society is a research area where you can find history on your family background, computers, microfilm and microfiche, books and a copy machine, we can also do research that's limited on your family for a donation.
217-287-7719

Christian County Historical Society Museum
E. Rt. 29
Walk through an 1820 log house, the 1839 Christian County courthouse where Lincoln argued cases, an 1854 farmhouse and an 1856 one-room school. Also military weapons of 5 wars, collection of 1800's antiques, plus much more.
217-824-6922

Taylorville Chautauqua Auditorium
Manners Park
This auditorium opened August 23, 1914, and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Part of the Taylorville Park District.
217-824-3110

TROY GROVE

Wild Bill Hickok Memorial Historic Site
Mechanic and Ottawa Sts.
This memorial commemorates Troy Grove as the birthplace of James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok (1837-1876). A plaque on the granite monument honors Hickok as "a scout and spy in the western states to preserve the Union in the Civil War".
217-785-1584


BACK TO TOP


WATSEKA

Veterans Memorial
Veterans Pkwy.
This 9 ton cannon, used in WW II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, stands alongside Veterans Parkway in honor of the men and women who have served in the armed force.


WILLIAMSVILLE

Williamsville Historic Depot and Box Cars
Elm St. next to Senior Center
A collection of photographs and other memorabilia reflecting the history of Williamsville.


BACK TO TOP

 
           
Illinios Mile After Magnificent Mile 

WEBSITE DESIGN BY TRITTENHAUS DESIGN